Sawubona

Sometime within the past three to five years, I made it my life goal to travel to Africa to photograph wildlife (specifically lions). Since I decided to make that my goal, I spent a lot of time on the inter-web looking up volunteer work and photography internships in Africa. About two years ago, an opportunity arose to take pictures in Africa, and I started looking into it thinking it wouldn't happen. I made some phone calls and found out I had to submit a portfolio and interview with some people. At that time, my photography was not very well developed and I hardly had any pictures to make a portfolio. I gave up on that opportunity pretty fast. I didn't really think about the idea of going to Africa again until around October/November of last year.
I started looking again online for photography internships and other opportunities to travel to Africa. I applied for some and talked to several different companies (which I was kind of sketched out by). And then the thought came to me to look and see if SUU had any study abroad trips to Africa. I was highly dubious about this because Africa is so far out there. I've always wanted to study abroad but never really had a reason to. So I get on the study abroad website and lo and behold there is an Africa study abroad. I quickly started looking at the requirements and emailing professors asking about everything. I went into a professor's office who was instructing the trip and talked to him for about 45 minutes. It got me so excited! I applied to the trip and made sure to email the two professors (who are married) about it all the time. There really was nothing to do because the deadline wasn't until January. I applied two months before haha. So I waited and looked at many many videos and pictures and even Facebook stalked those who went on the trip last year. I couldn't take the excitement of this huge experience! Well, January rolls around and I get an email. It said something in SiSwati (the language in Swaziland, Africa) and I opened it right away. The first line said "Sawubona and Congratulations" WHAT?! I slowed down the skimming and read the entire email that said I was going to Africa!!
So here I am, going to Africa meetings every other week (pretty much torture) until I leave in May, less than a month away! So by the end of May, at age twenty-two, I will have completed and achieved my LIFE goal. It's crazy how awesome life is sometimes. I couldn't be more grateful for this opportunity and new journey in my life, and I probably won't ever stop talking about it! Also, I guess it's time to start thinking of a new life goal.